Torn Ligaments Specialist Elgin, IL

Torn Ligaments Specialist Questions and Answers

Both ligaments and tendons are major parts of the ankle joint and either can be hurt during an ankle injury. If you have recently hurt yourself, contact Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialists, we offer top-rated specialists that can help you get back on your feet. For more information call us or schedule an appointment online. We serve patients from Elgin IL, Huntley IL, Montclare IL, Schaumburg IL, Streamwood IL, Gilberts IL and Bloomingdale IL.

Torn Ligaments Specialist Questions and Answers
Torn Ligaments Specialist Questions and Answers

Ligaments are strong, fibrous tissues that connect bones or cartilage or hold together a joint. When a ligament becomes damaged or torn, it can make the joint unstable. Sports injuries are a common cause of torn ligaments. Thankfully, there are many treatments available for damaged ligaments.

What doctor treats ligaments and tendons?

While both podiatrists and orthopedic physicians can effectively treat ankle injuries and conditions, it is best to see a podiatrist, as they have an abundance of experience and education treating foot and ankle issues. Podiatrists have specialized knowledge, training and experience managing injuries, illnesses and disorders of the foot and ankle.

While orthopedic physicians are highly qualified to treat a variety of musculoskeletal issues affecting the foot or ankle, a podiatrist has a lot more knowledge on the matter. To ensure you get the right treatment for your issue, when choosing a podiatrist for your foot and ankle care needs, check if the physician has substantial experience treating foot and ankle issues with both non-surgical and surgical treatments.

The best option is to see a podiatrist who is a part of a well-experienced orthopedic center, such as Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists.

What is the best treatment for ligament damage?

There are many different forms of treatment available for ligament damage. Non-surgical methods involve the RICE treatment (rest, ice, compress, elevate), reducing physical activity and taking NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for pain. If these methods have been exhausted with no positive results, surgery may be recommended. Common surgical procedures for ligament damage include:

Pinning/Repair — When ligament damage is recognized within a few weeks of injury, it can be repaired by stabilizing the bones with the insertion of metal pins, which allows the ligaments to heal. After healing, the pins are removed. This is less likely to be successful if a significant amount of time has passed since the injury.

Arthroscopy — Arthroscopic surgery can be used to access and repair ligaments in the ankle. Ankle arthroscopy enables the surgeon to see the ankle anatomy and ligament movements without the need for large incisions into the muscle and tissue.

Reconstruction — The ligament may need to be reconstructed for injuries that occurred six months or more before treatment. A tendon graft is used to replace the torn ligament, and, throughout the initial healing process, the foot or ankle is temporarily held in place with metal pins.

Fusion — To reduce joint pain during movement and stabilize the area, fusion of the joint may be needed if arthritis is already present.

How long does it take for a torn ligament to heal?

The length of recovery depends on the severity of the injury, although most cases require patients to be placed in a cast for 6 weeks, followed by another 6 weeks in a walking boot. Approximately 3 months after surgery, physical therapy treatments to strengthen the ankle and foot begin. For an individual to completely recover from Lisfranc surgery, it may take up to 12 months. Returning to activities such as sports too soon after ankle and foot surgery could lead to another injury that results in a longer healing time, damage to the blood vessels and/or the development of arthritis. If you have sustained an ankle and/or foot injury, contact Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists in Elgin, IL today.

Should I go to an Urgent Care or a Podiatrist for a torn ligament?

While urgent care centers can provide care for a torn ligament, for the highest quality of care, it is important to visit a podiatrist. Podiatrists are experts in the feet and ankles and any condition affecting these areas.

If you or someone you know has torn a ligament or believe they have, come to Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists today. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating torn ligaments and can help get you back on your feet. For more information about our torn ligament treatments, call our office and get in touch with a member of our specialist team. To book an appointment with our torn ligament specialist, visit our website or speak with us over the phone today.


Our Locations

Elgin, IL

Schaumburg, IL

Huntley, IL

  • 10370 Haligus Rd #109, Huntley, IL 60142, USA
  • View Details

Chicago, IL

Directions to Nearest Location