Orthopedic Surgeon vs. Podiatrist

Orthopedic Surgeon vs. Podiatrist Questions and Answers

Do You Have Any Sort of Issue With Your Lower Extremities, Like Your Ankles? if So, You Might Be Wondering Whether to See an Orthopedic Surgeon or a Podiatrist About It. Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialists Helps Patients Like You Regularly, and We Work With Orthopedic Surgeons Too. Let’s Take a Closer Look at Orthopedic Surgeons vs. Podiatrists. Call us for more information. We Serve Patients From Elgin IL, Huntley, Chicago IL, Montclare IL, Schaumburg IL, Streamwood IL, Gilberts IL, Woodstock IL and Algonquin IL.

Orthopedic Surgeon vs. Podiatrist Questions and Answers
Orthopedic Surgeon vs. Podiatrist Questions and Answers

What is the difference between a podiatrist and an orthopedist?

These two medical professionals are quite similar, as both have similar levels of education and similar capabilities. They work together regularly too. Generally, there are more similarities than differences.

There is one major difference, though: podiatrists and orthopedists treat different body systems. Whereas an orthopedist treats issues with bones, muscles, and ligaments all throughout the body, including the hips, legs, and feet, a podiatrist treats foot, ankle, and heel issues exclusively. It’s true that an orthopedist has significant education and experience with feet, heel, and ankle issues, but this doesn’t compare to the education and experience a podiatrist has with these issues. This means that for foot, ankle, and heel problems like ankle fractures, a podiatrist may be better able to help.

Do podiatrists do foot surgery?

Yes! An orthopedist does surgery, including foot surgery, but a podiatrist does surgery too and may be more experienced with foot and ankle surgery. Issues like bunions, flat feet, arthritis of the foot or ankle, fractures, hammertoe, ingrown toenails, diabetes complications, and others may require surgery which a podiatrist is fully capable of performing. If you know you need surgery or aren’t sure yet whether you will, a podiatrist is also able to make the determination for you.

Do I need a podiatrist or an orthopedist?

This depends on your particular issue or issues. Both professionals are qualified to diagnose and treat foot, ankle, and heel issues, surgically or otherwise, but a podiatrist is especially qualified in this area. If your particular issue falls into one of those three categories, then go see a podiatrist. However, if you have one of those issues but also a leg, hip, or back problem, or another problem you believe could be related to your foot/ankle/heel problem, then you may want to see an orthopedist instead, as this professional is able to address all of those problems.

If you decide to see a podiatrist or an orthopedist and it turns out you should also see the other professional, that’s no problem, as you can be referred to the other professional. Orthopedists and podiatrists connect with and network with one another all the time, so you’ll be able to see one or the other no matter what.

Do you have a podiatrist in Chicago, Huntley, Elgin, or Schaumburg, IL?

Yes! Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialists has podiatrists for each of the Chicago, Huntley, Elgin, and Schaumburg areas. You can read all about our team here. Each of our professionals is more than capable of helping you with your foot, ankle, or heel problem, and they can connect with an orthopedic surgeon if you need to see one for a related issue. Please see our Locations page for the clinic location nearest you and its contact information.

Call our clinic today to learn more about us and how we can help you at Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialists. You’re more than welcome to call us to book a consultation with us, so don’t hesitate to do so, or you can book with us on this website.

We look forward to hearing from and helping you soon!


Our Locations

Elgin, IL

Schaumburg, IL

Huntley, IL

  • 10370 Haligus Rd #109, Huntley, IL 60142, USA
  • View Details

Chicago, IL

Directions to Nearest Location