Heel Pain Doctor in Elgin, IL

If your heel pain stops you from your daily routine, come to advanced foot and ankle and let our trained staff provide you with a pain relief treatment that is right for you. Please call us for more information or schedule an appointment online.

Heel Pain Doctor in Elgin, IL

We use our feet everyday to get us from place to place, so when they start aching it can affect us in a multitude of ways. Not only is it often noticeable, it can impede on your ability to travel medium to long distances, and sometimes even short ones. Thankfully, there are measures we can take to not only combat the pain, but prevent it.

What causes pain under the heel?

When you step on a hard object such as a rock or stone, you can bruise the fat pad at the bottom of your heel. It may or may not look discolored. The pain goes away gradually with rest.

  • Plantar fasciitis — Doing too much running or jumping can inflame the tissue band (fascia) joining the heel bone to the base of the toes. The pain is centered under your heel and may be mild at first, but flares up when you take your first steps after recuperating overnight. You may need to do special exercises, take medication to reduce the swelling and use a heel pad in your shoe.
  • Heel spur — When plantar fasciitis lasts for a long time, a heel spur (calcium deposit) may grow where the fascia tissue band attaches to your heel bone. Your doctor may take an X-ray to see the bony protrusion, which can range in size. Therapy is habitually the same as for plantar fasciitis: rest until the pain subsides, do special stretching exercises and wear heel pad shoe inserts.
  • Bursitis — Bursitis is the inflammation of a bursa, a sac that lines many joints and allows tendons and muscles to move easily when the joint is moving. In the heel, bursitis may produce pain at the underside or back of the heel. In some cases, heel bursitis is linked to structural problems of the foot that cause an irregular gait (way of walking). In other cases, wearing shoes with inadequately cushioned heels can trigger bursitis.

What kind of doctor should I see for heel pain?

A podiatrist is a specialist who provides medical diagnosis and treatment of foot and ankle problems, including, but not limited to sprains and fractures, bunions, heel pain/spurs, hammertoes, neuromas, ingrown toenails, warts, corns and calluses. A podiatrist also renders care of fractures, sprains, infections, and injuries of the ankle, foot, and heel. Podiatrists must attend graduate school to obtain a doctorate in podiatry. Podiatrists are required to be licensed by the state in which they practice, as well as take state and national exams.

How do I get rid of the pain in my feet?

When you walk or stand, the pressure you feel is your body weight being absorbed by the bottom of your feet. Force is concentrated on certain spots on your feet that make contact with the ground. After a long period of time, you start to feel pain and fatigue in your feet.

Regularly practicing yoga can help you to gain and maintain better posture, as well as loosen and strengthen muscles throughout your body. Ask your yoga teacher for help to make adjustments to your posture that you can apply in and after class.

Therapeutic massage is a great way to relax and loosen the muscles in your feet. Using both hands, press your thumbs up the center line of your foot in a circular motion. Use gentle but firm pressure, spending a little extra time on any tender pressure points you find.

Rolling the arches of your bare feet with a tennis ball can also be very effective in relieving soreness and pain in your feet. Do this by slowly roll your foot from side to side so the ball crosses your arch for 1 to 2 minutes, then roll the ball along the length of your foot from heel to toe for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat on your other foot.

If you or someone you know is experiencing foot or heel pain, please contact our office to get in touch with a specialist today. To book an appointment, call us or visit us online!