Does your heel hurt and feel stiff and swollen, especially when you get up in the morning? Does the pain worsen as you are on your feet throughout the day? Does the arch of your foot hurt, too? Heel pain, also called plantar fasciitis, is a common podiatric ailment, which your foot doctor treats successfully at Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialists in Crystal Lake, Elgin, Schaumburg, Huntly and Chicago, IL. Their podiatrists understand the underlying causes of this inflammatory condition and how to treat it. You can feel better and keep those active feet of yours moving.
What causes plantar fasciitis?
Heel pain stems from any one or a combination of factors such as:
- Wearing shoes with poor support (such as inexpensive flip-flops)
- Working a job where you stand a lot
- Having high arches or flat feet
- Advanced age
Unfortunately, the broad band of connective tissue between the heel bone and the base of the toes (the plantar fascia) is prone to stress and inflammation. Additionally, heel spurs, little bony projections at the front of the heel bone, often develop along with plantar fasciitis, increasing discomfort and limiting mobility.
What can be done about heel pain in Crystal Lake, Elgin, Schaumburg, Huntly and Chicago?
Actually, there are many ways to manage heel pain, and many are just plain common sense. Our podiatrists often advise:
- Stretching exercises, especially first thing in the morning
- Wearing shoes with good support and low heels
- Resting, elevating and icing your feet when they hurt
- Adding some padding to your shoes
- Physical therapy
In addition, the foot doctor employs more complex therapies as necessary, including:
- Custom-made shoe inserts, or orthotics
- Cortisone injections (an anti-inflammatory medication)
- Ibuprofen as needed
- Topaz minimally invasive procedure
Wouldn't you like to feel better?
Of course, you would, and you can find an end to your heel pain. Just contact one of the convenient offices of Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialists. Your foot doctor quickly will determine what therapy is best for your heel pain. Call today. In Elgin, call (847) 468-1994. In Crystal Lake, phone (815) 356-0500, and in Schaumburg, (847) 352-0200. Our Huntley phone number is (815) 356-0500, and in Chicago, call (773) 836-9900.